Acoustic (and electromagnetic) 3D simulation in complex environments
ICARE is a tool for the simulation of the acoustic and electromagnetic propagation using asymptomatic methods (geometrical optics and uniform theory of diffraction, or ‘ray tracing’ in 3D complex environments. In interiors, this tool can also be used to optimise the acoustics of theatres, or in order to foresee intelligibility inside means of transport or crowded milieu, or yet again to calculate exposure to electromagnetic fields in buildings. Outdoors, it its particularly suited to calculating masking or installation effects, but also semi-open milieu such as stadiums. Notably used by car manufacturers and equipment makers, it permits the optimising of acoustic comfort in vehicle interiors or evaluating radiation to the environment.
- Multi-use: this tool handles highly varied situations, such as acoustic radiation in the nacelle of a jet engine, or calculation of noise in proximity to operating sports equipment…
- Modular: CSTB produces around ICARE other custom software, dedicated to the professions of users
- Reliable: this tool is highly rated by corporate companies (Renault, Peugeot PSA, Safran…)
APPLICATIONS: OPEN OR CLOSED COMPLEX 3D ENVIRONMENTS
- Integrates #beam launch type simulations, particle launching and temporal raytracing
- Allows taking into account reflection and diffraction phenomena of flat or curved surfaces
- Handles point sources and planar surfaces (defined by acoustic vibrational speed fields)
- Interfaces with the tools of other finished elements developed by CSTB
THE STEPS FOR CARRYING OUT A SOUND SIMULATION
- Elaboration of a geometric model using existing CAD
- Calculation of geometric trajectories (additional method for finished elements for medium and high frequencies, independent of frequency and materials)
- Calculation of transfer functions including acoustic or electromagnetic properties of materials, in order to obtain frequency responses in narrow bands between sources and receivers
- Possibility of calculating pulse responses by taking into account diffusion phenomena and late reverberation in volumes, in order to deduce the qualitative characteristics of the volume
- Potential sound synthesis using virtual acoustic tools
ICARE IS ALSO…
- Diffraction from edges and pre-defined surfaces
- Diffusion with diffusion coefficients per material
- Correct taking into account of curved surfaces
- Surface sources defined by the vibrational speed fields (GRIM)
- Interfacing and complementarity with calculations from other finished elements
DID YOU KNOW?
CSTB produces based on ICARE complete software solutions dedicated to the professions of users. Its R&D teams offer valid, efficient physical solutions, integrated into a single tool, going all the way from design and data entry right up to the restitution of results. These types of services guarantee a reliable operational tool, accessible by users aware of the many possibilities of ICARE. This, for example, was carried out at the request of ALSTOM Transport, with the OSCAR software.